Click here to download as PDF.

Hampton Village Community Association
Meeting Agenda
Wednesday Nov 9, 2016
Hampton Free Methodist Church 6:30
1. Val called the meeting to order at 635.
2. Agenda was reviewed and approved. Moved Kelly. Seconded Christine
Present. Kristen, Valerie (meeting chair), Cathy (recorder), Jan, Christine, Glen, Kelly,
Ryan, Melanie, Shauna, Matt,
Regrets: Cinthia, Darci, Kristy, Rasheed, Chelsey
3. Introductions and ice breaker (Jan)
Board members introduced themselves to all in attendance
Jan lead fun icebreaker so attendees could begin to get to know each other.
4. Review and approval of meeting minutes: June & September 2016
Minutes were approved with the corrections as noted by email. Christine approved, Kristen
seconded.
ACTION ITEM: Val will forward revised meeting minutes to webmaster for posting.
5. Business arriving from the minutes (including review of action items)
Action Item were reviewed. Updated status is listed below.
Status of Actions Reviewed
All board members to create 1 page job
description for board role
Follow up Action: Review of other
community association board role
descriptions to be discussed at next HVCA
board meeting
Call bank to inquire about options for a side
account for Hampton gardens.
Follow up Action: Cathy to email Cinthia to
determine status of request.
Email blast 1 week before AGM to advertise
Cathy to advertise AGM on Facebook
Order and pick up pizza
Forward information to Cathy for AGM slides
Send draft allocations coordinator position
description
Assigned
to
All Due
Notes
Jessica September Ongoing
2016
Heather
Cathy
Heather
Heather
Chelsey
Jessica,
Mel,
Diana,
Christine
Diana Oct 7
Oct 7
Oct 12
Oct 1 complete
complete
complete
complete
Oct 1 A hard copy
was provided at
the AGM
September completed
20166. Correspondence
Reviewed correspondence received
a. Invoice from City of Saskatoon for outstanding park permit. Payment due October 24.
b. Invoice from Aon Insurance for Community Association insurance Payment due October
31. Cathy has an up to date electronic copy of the insurance policy. Christine requested a
copy for her programming.
ACTION ITEM: Cathy to forward up to date copy of insurance policy to Christine, Kelly,
Kristen and Mel.
c. Letter from Tara Quick indicating audit requirements.
d. Bank statement for September 1 – 30
e. Bank notice of advice regarding an NSF cheque.
Mel indicated she had received a request for refund from the person for whom the cheque
was returned NSF. Mel indicated we will not issue a refund as technically, the person did not
pay.
f. A second notice of advice regarding an NSF cheque for indoor programming was
received. Kelly and Kristen to follow up.
ACTION ITEM: Kelly and Kristen to follow up regarding NSF cheque for indoor
programming.
7. Executive Reports
1. President
Ryan indicated a working group meeting was held on Monday, October 24 with Jan, Val,
Cathy and him attending. The purpose of the meeting was to do post AGM tasks and
determine next steps since we currently do not have a president. It was determined we
will have a rotating meeting chair person with Val chairing in November, Cathy in
December and Ryan is January. Ryan proposed that a rotating chair person may be
what we need to do until such time as we have a president in place. Board members in
attendance were receptive to this suggestion.
2. Treasurer (Rasheed)
Rasheed was not in attendance but had dropped off the cheque book so that
reimbursement cheques could be issued if a second person with signing authority was
present.
Ryan indicated he now had signing authority and was able to sign the cheques.
Additional reimbursement cheques were written by Mel and taken after the meeting to
Chelsey for the second required signature.
Jan indicated she is trying to set an orientation meeting between past and present
treasures as the books need to go to Tara Quick for financial review.
Mel has deposit book and 3 cheques to deposit.
Discussed cost as barrier as a result of NSF cheques.
8. Coordinators Reports
a. Communications Coordinator (Cathy)
The October 11 – November 9 report was circulated prior to the meeting and was
reviewed during the meeting.
What I didAttended post AGM meeting with Jan, Val and Ryan to plan for board transition post
AGM.
Requested updates to Webpage re: new board members and changes to web email
addresses for new board members.
Updated HVCA executive board Facebook page. Invited new board members to page.
Removed exiting board members.
Inquired about our mailbox key—Do we have two? Chelsey indicated she is willing to
continue to pick up mail and was previously approved to purchase an additional mailbox
key.
Organized Pumpkins in the Park activity with team members
Participated with Ryan and Val in television event to advertise for Pumpkins in the park
Community Sign
Advertised for AGM and Pumpkin in the Park. Cut grass in area of the sign to increase
visibility.
Jan informed the board the rezoning for the current location of the community sign is
proceeding. As a result we will receive notice to change the location of our sign.
Facebook Page
Posted information to advertise AGM and Pumpkin in the Park.
Email
Responded as able to inquiries from email and on Facebook.
What I need to do.
Newsletter
Next submission date is December 1st. This will be an online only version.
Need to notify/ remind advertisers of submission deadline.
Community Sign
Update sign to advertise our next event– ?? newsletter?? Board members requested
advertising the winter registration on the sign. Jan 4th 6:00-8:00 with set up at 5:30
What I need from you
If you are submitting anything to the newsletter, please do so on or before December 1.
Reimbursement of $41.11 for Pumpkins in the Park expenses.
b. Soccer Coordinator (Mel) No updates at this time
c. Kinder soccer (Christine) Kindersoccer has several teams. Currently playing on
Wednesday evenings at HFC. The next meeting will be the final session. Christine will
arrive late to the meeting as she will need to collect supplies from teams. She also plans
to inform participants of the next registration date and offer early registration to current
participants.
d. Indoor Coordinator (Kelly/Kristen)
Kelly and Kristen met with Chelsey to be provided orientation to the role of indoor
coordinator. It was determined that Chelsey will continue in the role until the fall sessions
are complete. At that time Kelly and Kristen will assume full responsibilities for this role.
Discussion regarding whether two people in one position both have voting rights was
discussed.
ACTION ITEM: Jan to investigate if we can have two indoor coordinators and if both
coordinators have voting rights.Kristen and Kelly indicated their future vision for this role, where one might be the adult
coordinator and the other the children’s programming coordinator. Kelly and Kristen
indicated registration night for winter programming is January
Jan indicated the blurb for the Leisure guide had been submitted. It was general due the
submission deadline. Kelly and Kristen welcomed indoor programming suggestions.
Magic class for 7 -12 year olds, and crocheting were some ideas.
Kristen and Kelly plan to visit the current programs to introduce themselves to the
instructors and attendees. This will help ensure a smoother transition as they establish
themselves in their new role. A grant is due November 15 th . Kelly and Kristen will meet
with Jan for further orientation to their roles.
ACTION ITEM: Kelly and Kristen to meet with Jan for further orientation to their roles.
Kelly and Kristen are experiencing email access difficulties for the indoor coordinator
email address.
ACTION ITEM: Cathy to follow up with Brent regarding Kelly and Kristen’s email access
difficulties.
Also discussed email distribution list and how it is maintained. Do previous member
names drop off the list?
ACTION ITEM: Glen to contact Brent to determine if previous HVCA member names
drop off the email distribution list.
e. Rink Coordinator (Jan)
Rink development is progressing nicely. The good weather is really making a difference
in progress. The rink will come in under budget. Jan has contacted the former rink
coordinator to see if any of the previous ice rink crew names could be forwarded and
approached to provide future ice making and clearing activities.
A thank you card was circulated for the volunteer who is coordinating the building of the
rink. Motion by Kristen, Seconded by Val to purchase a $100.00 gift card for anonymous
volunteer who is coordinating the work crews. Thank you card will be recirculated at
December meeting for additional board signatures. Gift card will be included at that time
and sent to the volunteer foreman.
ACTION ITEM: Cathy will purchase the $100.00 gift card prior to the December board
meeting.
Cathy discussed communication with SUM Theatre regarding the possibility of present
the Hockey Sweater as part of the Grand Opening of the rink.
ACTION ITEM: Cathy to follow up with SUM Theatre regarding presenting the Hockey
Sweater as part of the rink Grand Opening and report back to the December meeting.
f.
Community consultant report (Jan)
Previously circulated. Highlights were reviewed during the meeting. Of particular note
are:
Sask Lottery Grant—HVCA applied for this grant to offset costs for Family Fest. We
were unsuccessful in our application. One of the upcoming workshops is about grant
writing. Val and Christine indicated an interest in attending.Other upcoming training opportunities include:
President’s workshop—November 24
Treasurer’s workshop—November 29
Upcoming events:
November 17 th Community information night for Northwest Division. Discussion topics
include: drugs, guns, citizens patrol and personal safety.
November 25 th Turkey bingo @ Caroline Robbins School. Jan encouraged HVCA board
members to attend and get passport stamped for opportunity to win a prize.
9. Special Events
1. Pumpkins in the park (Cathy)
PIES on Pumpkins in the Park was previously circulated but reviewed and discussed
during the meeting. (See attached)
Recommend continuing this as an annual event
Lighting of pumpkins continues to be a challenge. LED pumpkin lights are too expensive
to purchase for the number of pumpkins that are brought to the event.
Discussed amount of hot chocolate purchased. It was determined that one carboy (70
cups) would be sufficient. Also discussed HVCA purchasing our own carboy as it may be
useful in the future.
ACTION ITEM: Kelly to investigate cost for HVCA to purchase carboy for future use at
Pumpkins in the Park and other events.
2. Garage sale/BBQ (Cathy)
ACTION ITEM:CB to ask Mel about booking bbqs for Garage sale and Family Fest.
Garage Sale is on May 13, 2017!
3. Registration nights
Indoor Programming registration night is January 4 at Hampton Free Methodist Church
starting at 6p.m. Set up is at 5:30. Kelly and Kristen to organize. Discussed value of
preparing a list/ planning document for a successful event. Christine will provide
assistance in preparation of registration planning document and attend registration night
as kindersoccer registration will occur on the same night.
4. Family fest
Christine is willing to spearhead this event this year. Val and Shauna to assist.
10. New business
1. Access to community room at new school
At this point HVCA is still unsure if previous working arrangements with schools and
community associations will be applicable to the new school because it is a 3P project.
ACTION ITEM: Cathy to contact school board for update regarding future relationship
with school, access to meeting room for meetings and availability of storage for
community association supplies.
2. New school playgrounds
Chelsey and Cinthia will attend playground meeting on November 17 th and report back.
This business will be revisited at our December meeting.3. Cheque signing authority
We now have three authorized cheque signers: Rasheed, Chelsey and Ryan have
signed the required paperwork at the bank.
4. ISC list of board members
Unfortunately, new members from last year were not added to list of board members.
Therefore these people will need to sign an affidavit for witnessing by a Notary Public or
Commissioner of Oaths prior to updating this information on the ISC website.
Ryan is a Commissioner of Oaths and can assist with this project. Cathy will meet with
Jan to update board membership on ISC website.
ACTION ITEM: Cathy to meet with Jan to update board membership on ISC website.
5. Post AGM checklist
Prepared by Val. Items include: updating website with new member information,
updating web email
ACTION ITEM: Val to email post AGM checklist to board members.
6. Annual Financial review
Year end is August 31, 2016. Annual financial review must be completed by January 31.
Request for information has been received from auditor, Tara Quick. Jan to coordinate
meeting with past and present treasurers to facilitate completion of financial review.
7. Park enhancement update HVCA was awarded this grant two years ago to install a
shade topper in the playground area. HVCA is ineligible to apply for this grant while
there is an existing grant in place. The installation of the shade topper will be re-
tendered in the spring.
8. Position orientations
Orientation for membership coordinator and indoor coordinators have occurred.
9. Email signatures
Email signatures on web email is highly recommended. Suggested format is as follows.
First name (Cathy)
Volunteer
HVCA Board member position (HVCA Communications Coordinator)
www.saskhvca.com
www.facebook.com/hamptonvillage
10. Facebook Group
We have an HVCA executive Facebook page. New members were sent invitations.
Members were reminded to check for an invitation on a computer as these are not seen
on phones.
11. Authorizing expenditures
Board members were asked to review the process for authorizing expenditures. Process
is described in the HVCA board documents. There will be fun activity in December to
review the process!
ACTION ITEM: Review HVCA governance documents, in particular the process forapproving financial expenditures.
11. Next meetings:
1. December 14 — Cathy to Chair
2. January 11—Ryan to Chair
3. February 8
4. March 8
5. April 12
6. May 10
7. June 14
8. July-Aug: no meetings
9. September 13
10. AGM: October 11
12. Meeting adjourned at 0835.
ACTION ITEMS
Forward revised meeting minutes for
June and September to webmaster for
posting. Assigned to
Val Due
Dec
Forward up to date copy of insurance
policy to Christine, Kelly, Kristen and
Mel. Cathy Dec.
Review of other community association
board role descriptions to be discussed
at next HVCA board meeting
Email Cinthia to determine status of
request for sub bank account for
Hampton Gardens
Follow up regarding NSF cheque for
indoor programming. Cathy Dec
Kelly and
Kristen Dec
Investigate if we can have two indoor
coordinators and if both coordinators
have voting rights.
Kelly and Kristen to meet with Jan for
further orientation to their roles.
Follow up with Brent regarding Kelly and
Kristen’s email access difficulties.
Contact Brent to determine if previous
HVCA member names drop off the
email distribution list. Jan Dec
Kelly, Kristen Dec
Cathy Dec
Glen Dec
Purchase the $100.00 gift card prior to
the December board meeting as gift for
anonymous volunteer rink contractor. Cathy Dec
Cathy
StatusFollow up with SUM Theatre regarding
presenting the Hockey Sweater as part
of the rink Grand Opening and report
back to the December meeting. Cathy Dec
investigate cost for HVCA to purchase
carboy for future use at Pumpkins in the
Park and other events
Ask Mel about booking bbqs for Garage
sale and Family Fest.
Garage Sale is on May 13, 2017. Kelly Dec
Cathy Dec
Contact school board for update
regarding future relationship with school,
access to meeting room for meetings
and availability of storage for community
association supplies.
Dec
Cathy
Meet with Jan to update HVCA board
membership on ISC website. Cathy Dec
Email post AGM checklist to board
members. Val Dec
Review HVCA governance documents,
in particular the process for approving
financial expenditures. All Dec